National Beta Club
The National Beta Club began as the dream of our founder, Dr. John W. Harris, a professor at Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC. Since the first Beta Club was formed in Landrum, SC in 1934, the National Beta Club has become the nation's largest independent, non-profit, educational youth organization. We are committed to recognizing and promoting high academic achievement, rewarding and nurturing worthy character, fostering leadership skills and encouraging service to others. Visit the official site: http://www.betaclub.org/
Membership is by invitation only.
Requirements to join:
Requirements to maintain membership:
- a cumulative, unrounded, academic average of 95 or higher
- no fees owed to the institution
- an attendance rate of 95% or higher for the current semester (no more than five full day absences)
- no in-school or out-of-school suspensions
- no academic dishonesty referrals
- clearance by the club's co-sponsors and the building administrators
- Returning members must continue to meet the above criteria and must maintain an academic average of 93 or higher.
- New members must earn 6 service points for the current school year; returning members must earn 12.
- Members must pay annual club dues in order to remain in good standing.
- Members must attend a minimum of 50% of the monthly meetings.
On March 12, the Calhoun High School chapter of the National Beta Club held its 12th annual induction ceremony in the Calhoun Performing Arts Center. The National Beta Club is one of the nation's largest independent, non-profit, educational youth organizations. Beta Club is committed to recognizing and promoting high academic achievement, rewarding and nurturing worthy character, fostering leadership skills and encouraging service to others. The ceremony was directed by our 2017 officers, with President Caitlyn Cherry presiding over the induction of 63 new members. Outgoing officers also include: Vice President of Administration Cecelia Swink, VP of Community Service Emily Driscoll, VP of Public Relations Julia Palazzolo, Secretary Jessica Tucker, Treasurer Neeley Abernathy, and Convention Coordinators Phoebe Jude and Hannah Gresham.
In addition to the induction program, the CHS Beta Club installed its 2018 officers: President Matthew Turner, Vice President of Administration Ayush Gupta, Vice President of Community Service: Emma Kate Smith, Vice President of Public Relations Bhavi Patel, Secretary Ashton Ensley, Treasurer Brooke Landry, and Convention Coordinator Jocelyn Cisneros.
BETA CLUB OFFICERS: 2018
Sign up for Remind for reminders about BETA by texting @f5f to 81010
BETA CLUB OFFICERS 2018
President: Matthew Turner
Vice President of Administration: Ayush Gupta
Vice President of Community Service: Emma Kate Smith
Vice President of Public Relations: Bhavi Patel
Secretary: Ashton Ensley
Treasurer: Brooke Landry
Convention Coordinators: Jocelyn Cisneros
UPDATES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Next meeting is Thursday April 12 at 7:30 AM in the chrous room.
Several new members still need to pay your national dues. See Mrs. Gomez or Mrs. Prater to take care of this ASAP!!
We are currently planning for an Earth Day workday at New Echota in April. Information will be sent out via Remind in the next couple of weeks!
New members - please be sure to sign up for Reminds!!!
Have a safe and happy spring break!
Ongoing Service Point Opportunities
- Letters to Soldiers: This is part of Operation Gratitude - see their website for information on how and what to write. Two letters will earn one point, with a maximum of 6 letters (three points).
- New Echota work days: Students are welcome to come help at the park any Tuesday through Saturday. Please contact New Echota before going: 706-624-1321
- Pop tabs: CHS Beta will discontinue its pop tab drive in favor of a more service oriented project. Bring any pop tabs you may still have, but do not collect any more.
- Heifer Project: We are still raising funds for the Heifer Project. Our goal is to raise $450 by the end of the school year. Students can earn one service point for each $5 donated to this cause, with a maximum of $25 per student.
March 2018 Beta Induction Program
The CHS chapter of the National Beta Club proudly inducted 63 new members this year. The program was held on March 12th in the Calhoun Performing Arts Center with parents and faculty in attendance. Joseph Taylor sang the National Anthem. Following the introductions, our officers conducted Beta Club's traditional candelight ceremony. President Caitlyn Cherry conducted the swearing in of new members and signing of the official club register. Official certificates and pins were also handed out during the program. The outgoing officers installed our new officers with a pinning ceremony. The program was followed by a reception in the theater lobby. Congratulations to all of our new members!